Monday, October 17, 2011

Football? Buffalo Chicken Dip is a must!


I don't watch football. If Mike is watching it, I am usually grading papers, cooking or (right now) blogging. A couple of years ago, my sister made this amazing dip for some family event, and I have been making it during fall football or any fall night, for that matter, ever since. Again, full disclosure, I did not make up this recipe, I have only tweaked it to my own liking.

It's super easy!
Here is what you need:
2lbs or 4 chicken breasts, boiled and then shredded (the best way to do this is either with your hands, or with two forks, simply pull the chicken with each fork)
1 bottle Frank's Hot Sauce
1/2 bottle (about 1 cup) blue cheese or ranch dressing (I've had it both ways and prefer blue cheese, but both are good!)
1 block low-fat cream cheese (If you read my first blog, you know that I like to cut at least one fat corner in my recipes, when it doesn't affect the taste - this does not need to be full fat, I can never tell a difference.)
1 package or 2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese (Again, I have tried both and sometimes when I feel really crazy, I COMBINE them! They both taste good!)
Update (10/18/11): I forgot an important ingredient! My brain is till trying to get used to writing my recipes down, forgive me! Anyways, celery! I hate celery by itself, but it is a regularly stocked item in my fridge for its addition to soups and casseroles. Our friend, Blake, came over and made this recipe about a month ago and he added celery to his version, I was sold! It adds a little crunch to the texture without messing with the taste. I digress...
2 stalks chopped celery

Okay, here is where you have to make a decision. I have cooked this recipe two different ways, I like them both: In a pan in the oven (cheese is brown and bubbly on top) or....in a crock pot (cheese is mixed in.
Whichever vessel (love that word!) you go with, you will want to combine the chicken, hot sauce, dressing & cream cheese together. If you decide to bake in the oven, sprinkle the cheese on top. If you decide to do this in a crock pot, (you guessed it!) mix the cheese into the other ingredients.
Either way, cook for at least 30 minutes (350 degrees in the oven).
As with all of my recipes, I am terrible with accuracy in cooking times. I always guess when creating my own. So, I trust you to be able to do what I do: taste test or visual check at this point. If it doesn't look quite right, go another 10 minutes and check again, until you are happy. Trust yourself!
When you are happy with the taste, serve to your hubby and/or guests with tortilla chips or baguette slices. Or just freakin' lick it off a spoon! It is so delicious! Enjoy!


Here is a pic of the finished product after I had served half of it...I was so excited, I forgot to take a pic before I had served it.

Mike and his tummy are happy!

P.S. I am attempting to make pepper jelly tomorrow...I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment