Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ojai Orange Marmalade

Long time no see! I'm back! At least I hope to be.
Tonight I am going to my first food swap. What is a food swap you ask? Well, from what I understand, it is where folks who make homemade food (not just canning - think granola, keffir, jam, etc.) all get together and swap a jar and a recipe. Right up my alley!
Well, I am terrified! I have been looking at pictures of everyone else's contributions and they are adorable! Wish me luck!
I am bringing orange marmalade. I used a combination of oranges that I picked and oranges that I bought at the Ojai farmer's market.

With all of the oranges, I worked hard the whole rest of my trip to coddle these oranges. I kept them in air conditioning and fridges as much as possible. I did not want them to get too ripe!

I used a recipe from "Susan Can Cook": http://susan-susancancook.blogspot.com/2011/01/orange-marmalade.html I am posting it here to give credit and also so the peeps at my food swap can find the recipe.
Back to the Ojai oranges. Well, I think I failed here. From what I have read, the best orange marmalade comes from oranges that are not too ripe, because they have more natural pectin. The reason I think this was my problem, is my marmalade turned more to syrup then to a gel. Besides this issue, the recipe above worked great! One other note: it takes FOREVER to get the marmalade to 222 degrees! Make sure you have lots to do around the house/kitchen while you wait. I'm talking like 2 hours worth!
Here is my marmalade finished and on toast:
And here is my finished packaging:
 
I took a cute daisy from the yard and tied it on with a sprig from my crazy huge rosemary bush.
Ta ta for now! I hope to be back soon with more fun projects!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment